Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Holly, Hannah, Jack and cheap booze

They were kissing and some drunk people were taking photos.

Brian and I were in Bucket Bar - the only bar with more than 10 people at it. I'd guess there may have even been 100 people here.

If you hadn't already guessed from the name of the place - drinks were served in buckets. Perhaps a good indication of the attitude towards drinking here... the more the better. The bar offered free whiskey shots on arrival and then 20,000KIP for a bucket of whiskey and coke. 20,000 KIP is like... a dollar.

We didn't need whiskey, but figured in the spirit of things.. why not?

Brian carried our bucket through the crowds of messy, drunken tourists - each of them so inebriated that they are completely unaware of (or just don't care) how messy and drunken they look. I followed and we settled down on one of the less-busy 'platforms' that were scattered around this open-air bar. You're meant to take your shoes off and sit down, so we did.

We watched people dancing and commentated on how amusing they look. It's pretty funny really. It made me wonder how peculiar I must look when I'm dancing. I like dancing though... I don't want to think about how weird I must look.

Oh, yes those two kissers. So they're sitting on the platform next to us. Two girls - one of them super skinny and one of them rather stocky. The skinny one is mega boozed and notices us sitting alone. 'Oh god... don't come over' I pray.

"Hi what's your name?" She asks in an English accent, putting out her hand.

Shaking it, I say "Pamela".

I introduce Brian too and she seems thrilled to meet us.

Her name is Holly "like holiday but without the day". Ah... I wasn't sure.

We chatted for a while until a song she liked came on. She squealed and jumped up and said she'd be back soon.

I turned back to Brian who was just being approached by bar staff guy offering another free shot. Seriously? They were giving this stuff away like water...it must have been pretty damn awful. We declined his kind offer (with nasty hangover in mind) but he poured some into our half-full bucket anyway.

He can't have been any older than 20. He was skinny, strikingly blonde and very tall with a piercing on his lip about 1/3 of the way along it.

"How long you worked here?" I asked.
"As long as I lived here." He said.

Ohhhhhh kay. Obvious next question...

"How long you lived here?" I asked.
"Bout 2 months. And then before that I was in Vientiene for 10 months." He said.
"Doing what?"
"Living. And I plan to stay here for 10 years."

Cool. I tried to get a bit more out of him but other than his name (Jack), he turned out to be completely boring. He had no intention of doing anything here other than live and drink and work in a bar. Each to their own... but trust me... Vang Vieng would not be my living place of choice for TEN years with an ambition like that.

I must apologise because I have a poor recollection of the order of events that followed, eventually leading to the four of us (Holly, Hannah, Brian and myself) hanging out in Han and Holly's bungalow til 2 in the morning and then having them walk Brian and I to our respective accommodations after ordering tuna baguettes from a sidewalk vendor (not the safest food choice at that hour). I wish the story got more exciting here... but it doesn't. There was no overly exciting drug abuse or authoritative intervention or drunken debauchery... sadly.

I nodded 'hey' to the two cockroaches I shared a house with, curled up on my bed and dozed off to the increasingly loudening choir of crickets and roosters.

No comments: