Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Starbucks

Bangkok airport at 8:30am is like a shopping mall at Christmas time.

I can barely bring myself to admit this...but I'm sitting at... Starbucks.

I'm so embarrassed, in fact, that I keep glancing around nervously in case I see someone I know. It's pathetic, I'm aware of this. But my options are limited. I'm hungry and I cannot stomach the thought of minced pork rice porridge. So I sheepishly slide into Starbucks and choose a croissant and a small americano and try to be invisible amongst the obvious American tourists.

1 comment:

mitchell.anita said...

oh i know your pain. I have avoided Starbucks my whole life, with a few exceptions which I believe were with you Pamela.. I would rather have no coffee than a starbucks coffee, its a moral thing. I dont know if their coffee really is horrible as I expect but the whole idea of it is. So Kyle and I were very embarrassed to be sitting is starbucks the other night.. but we had an hour to kill and it was the only place to sit annonymously and pretend we werent really there. when we ordered I thought i may as well embrace the starbucks theme and had a tall white chocolate mocha with whip, I couldnt do it without looking at kyle and laughing. and we sat and looked around at the people who actually CHOOSE to come here. they WANT to come here and support this giant american company for their average coffee, a lot of types which arent even bloody coffee, rather than going to the locally owned place round the road where you can actually get a decent coffee. arghhhh