Sunday, March 1, 2009

Jake

I meet Jake in Perth. (From Melbourne, we were flown to Perth and then from Perth we were flown to Singapore)

Jake is a pilot for Tiger in Singapore. Originally he's from this place just outside of Melbourne on the coast - he's a surfer. Cool.

Jake reminds me of a friend - Nick Harris - and so I instantly take a liking to him. It's funny how that happens, when someone reminds you of someone you like, you tend to like them too. Even if they just look the same! And likewise I suppose if they remind you of someone you don't like too much then that can be unfortunate.

So he's a pilot. He trained as a pilot as soon as he left high school. I can't imagine being a pilot. Already having been in transit for 48 hours or so, I just want to be grounded for a while. I look at the air hostesses and imagine what a feeling of permanent suspension/transience they must have. Are those the right words? I'm not sure. But it sure must feel weird.

No comments: